Geoff joined CBRE in February of 1993, specializing in investment sales. Geoff has 10 years of experience in the Alberta real estate market, having joined CBRE from Knowlton Realty Ltd. Geoff was CBRE's Top Junior Producer in 1994. Geoff has been a member of the National Investment Team – Calgary (NIT – Calgary) since its inception.
In addition to his sales role, Geoff is a Barrister and Solicitor and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta. Prior to entering commercial real estate, Geoff was with Canada's largest law firm. Geoff provides in-house legal assistance to NIT - Calgary in matters of drafting documents, reviewing and interpreting documentation and providing insight on a wide range of other legal issues including regulatory and municipal law matters. Geoff's experience in dealing with the real estate bar across Canada can provide valuable insight to both vendors and purchasers regarding drafting issues and pitfalls.
Since the implementation of the National Investment Team – Calgary, Geoff's principal role has been the co-ordination and management of due diligence and closing matters for all of the transactions conducted by NIT - Calgary. The provision of transaction management expertise to the extent that it is provided by NIT – Calgary is unique in the real estate brokerage industry. Geoff's dedication and experience in this area help to insure that transactions are completed on-time and on-price.
In addition to monitoring the progress and conduct of the purchaser's due diligence processes and the management of the closing process, NIT – Calgary has also acted on the 'buy-side' to conduct the due diligence and closing processes on behalf of prospective purchasers of commercial real estate including: the engaging and direction of outside counsel and third-party consultants; assisting prospective purchasers to interpret third-party reporting; and, sourcing, negotiating, documenting and funding third-party financing, involving both conventional and conduit lenders.
Among the key 'value-add' elements provided by Geoff in this role throughout the transaction process are:
- Negotiation – Geoff has a considerable amount of 'deal experience' in the negotiation of the forms of purchase and sale documentation with many of the vendors and purchasers in the marketplace and relationships and negotiation experience with the majority of the key members of the real estate Bar in Calgary and with many other solicitors across Canada. This ongoing experience proves valuable to our clients in avoiding pitfalls that exist in purchase and sale documentation an provides 'real-time' experience regarding the 'hot buttons' of particular purchasers and solicitors
- Due Diligence Progress – the volume of business that NIT – Calgary transacts and the involvement of our Team in the conduct of the purchaser's due diligence has provided us with the ability to assist purchasers and their consultants to arrive at solutions for issues arising from the conduct of the purchaser's due-diligence including: structural, mechanical and other building science issues; environmental issues, both regulatory and financing related; lease issues; property management and accounting issues; title and off-title issues, including Real Property Report an City Compliance issues; and, financing issues. Geoff's experience with this process provides our clients with valuable contact with the purchaser, its solicitor and its consulting team so that potential issues can be addressed before they become problems
- Closing – among the closing issues on which Geoff provides valuable support are: liaising between the solicitors for the vendor and purchaser and the vendor and purchaser directly, this is a valuable function that the solicitors on the file are prohibited from conducting on their own due to the rules of the Law Society; the negotiation and preparation of a statement of adjustments; estoppel certificate issues, including meeting with tenants explain the documents and obtain execution; and, assisting with mortgage funding, such as obtaining title insurance an assisting the lender's solicitors
- Post-Closing – Geoff often remains involved in transactions long after the closing is completed to: assist with post-closing adjustments; satisfy vendor and purchaser obligations and their respective solicitor's undertakings, including leasing, management and municipal requirements
- CBRE - Hutcheson Award - National Team Award – General - 2018
- CBRE - Hutcheson Award - National Team Award – General - 2014
- CBRE - Hutcheson Award - National Team Award – General - 2011
- CBRE - Hutcheson Award - National Team Award – General - 2001
- 1989 - 1991 LL.B. The Dalhousie Law School, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 1986 - 1989 B.A. The University of Calgary, (With Distinction), Calgary, Alberta